Along with the heart and the brain, liver is also one of the most important organs in our body. However, most often the liver is not given the credit that it deserves. The liver is one of the hardest working organs in your body as it performs hundreds of functions. Whatever you eat or drink which includes junk food and alcohol, all goes down to the liver where the liver processes it and either repackages it for your body to use or eliminates it. The best way to keep your liver healthy is by eating healthy. As the liver stores most of our nutrients, it’s the major organ for nutrient processing. Thus to detoxify the liver, you can include the following foods in your diet.
- GarlicChopping garlic and letting it sit 15 minutes before cooking activates liver enzymes that help your body flush out toxins. Garlic also holds high amounts of allicin and selenium which are two natural compounds that aid in liver cleansing.
- Leafy GreensLeafy greens are cleansing foods which offer a powerful protective mechanism for the liver. Leafy greens can be eaten raw, cooked, or juiced. They have high amounts of plant chlorophylls which suck up environmental toxins from the blood stream. Leafy greens such as bitter gourd, arugula, dandelion greens, spinach, mustard greens, and chicory will help increase the production and flow of bile.
- AvocadosAvocado is also known as “Supercado” is filled with tons of nutrients, healthy fats and vitamins. Avocado helps the body to produce glutathione which is necessary for the liver to cleanse harmful toxins.
- LemonLemon and all citrus fruits contain Vitamin C and minerals that boost bodily functions and enhance the cleansing process, sweeping out wastes. Drinking freshly-squeezed lemon or lime juice in the morning helps stimulate the liver.
- Green TeaThis liver-loving beverage is full of plant antioxidants known as catechins, a compound known to assist liver function. Green tea is not only delicious, it’s also a great way to improve your overall diet.