While oil is an important ingredient in cooking, not many of us are aware that in our journey to good health, cooking oils play an important role. As much as we should know the healthy oils, it is equally necessary to know the oils to avoid.
- Vegetable oils like canola, soya bean oil, corn oil, sunflower and safflower are genetically modified which makes them unhealthy. These oils are best avoided.
- What makes them unhealthy is - during the extraction
process of these oils, the seeds are subjected to extremely high temperatures,that
alters their chemical structure. This results in a complete loss of all the
vital vitamins, minerals and fatty acids. It also negatively impacts the taste
and flavour. To understand the bad influence of such cooking oils, it is
important to know that fat is a major component of every living cell in our
body, not merely fat cells as is commonly thought! Therefore the quality of
fats in the food impacts the efficiency of body cells.
To prove this, let us look at the way Canola oil is extracted, Canola oil is extracted from a toxic seed called rapeseed. Harsh chemicals are employed during the extraction process in a bid to make it healthy for the heart!
- Vegetable oils contain omega 6 fatty acids in increasing
levels. Overdose of omega 6 results in inflammatory diseases in our body.
There is an increasing risk of conditions like Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity, heart diseases, asthma, IBS and Rheumatoid Arthritis with consumption of vegetable oils. Those with the condition could experience worsening of the condition if they continue to use vegetable oils.
- Groundnut, sesame and mustard oils, found easily in India, have the right combination of omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9.Even though there is an evident shift towards canola, soya or rice bran, it is wise to use groundnut, sesame and mustard oils. The filtered varieties of these oils are recommended rather than the refined ones.
- Coconut oil is the magic oil for body, skin and hair. This is because of its unparalleled anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. Research has also proved that consumption of coconut oil helps improve key risk factors like Total, LDL and HDL cholesterol, and offset heart disease.
- Tap into the unique fatty acid structure present in clarified butter or desi ghee, which is an option we wish to highlight. Desi ghee is a healthier option because it targets the obstinate fat from the body and helps mobilize it.